HRAD STRAKONICE : THE FORMER MANORIAL BREWERY

Kontakty

Městské informační centrum Strakonice

Zámek 1
386 01 Strakonice
tel.: 380 422 744

E-mail:
infocentrum@meks-st.cz

www:
www.strakonice.eu/content/informacni-centrum


 

Město Strakonice
Odbor školství a cestovního ruchu

Velké náměstí 2
386 21 Strakonice
tel.: 383 700 848
www.strakonice.eu 


GPS: 49°15'29.579"N, 13°54'4.320"E


Expozice muzea
na hradě jsou uzavřeny v období 2018-2021
z důvodu rekonstrukce
v rámci 52. výzvy IROP.

 

The Former Manorial Brewery

The buildings are situated in the north wing of the castle, opposite St Procopius Church, between the Elementary Art School and the Deanery and Museum. It is an integral part of Strakonice Castle. The buildings in this part of the castle  have gone through many changes during their use as service facilities for the manor. The alteration of the former brewery is especially noteworthy. There is hardly any information about this part of the castle.

The new political and economic situation in the 16th century brought the then developing brewing industry into the castle and this business, in need of more space, gradually took over the whole wing of the castle. The first record of the brewery in Strakonice can be found in the last will of the Maltese grand prior Václav Zajíc of Házmburk in 1578. The first stocktaking list comes from 1591 and was written down in the time of the grand prior Matouš Děpold Popel of Lobkovice. At the beginning of the Thirty Years’ War, Strakonice brewery was first plundered by Ernst von Mansfeld’s army of the Bohemian Estates and later by Count Buquoy’s Imperial Army. In 1717-18, when the baroque portion was being constructed, there is a record in the accounts concerning a residential wing on the floor above the brewery. Information about the master brewer’s flat can then be found in the inventories of following years. This part of the castle was in the hands of the Maltese knights until 1925, when it was passed onto a private owner. In 1932, a great fire swept through part of the building. During the Second World War, several parts of the building were remodelled into offices and a dormitory under the pressure of the local NSDAP. Many inhabitants of Strakonice still remember the flats and premises of the folk art school.

The building has four storeys. On the ground floor, there is the well-known U Kata hall (the Executioner’s hall), which was designed for multiple purposes. The premises are accessible from the 1st courtyard (by the main entrance into the north wing) or by the barrier-free entrance from the 3rd courtyard.

On the first floor, there is a gallery, which is called the Maltese gallery. It serves mainly for exhibitions but it is also convenient for organising lectures or courses. Its advantage is direct access to the terrace above the garages of the 3rd courtyard, which offers a charming view of the wealth-bringing river Otava, Podskalí and the originally Renaissance church of St Margaret.

Original bricks produced by the Mutěnice brick plant branded with the eight-pointed Maltese cross, discovered and saved during the building’s reconstruction, have been used for the window sills.

On the third floor, there is the beautiful Knights’ hall where visitors may admire the new view of the construction of the building’s historical roof frame: it was revealed when the original unsightly ceiling was torn down. Just next to the hall, there are changing rooms and sanitary facilities for the performers. The hall offers a wide range of activities, from organised classical music concerts to theatre performances produced by small companies. It is also convenient for children’s educational programmes or for conferences.

There is marvellous stained glass window above the stairway to the Knights’ hall, made by the academic sculptor Michaela Absolonová. It features three magpies with a gold circle in their beaks, from which the name of our city might have been derived, as magpie is “straka” in Czech.

(c) Město Strakonice, 2010
Webdesign & hosting: ŠumavaNet.CZ